Friday, September 23, 2005

The fiddle is broke.

Anyone who has read Dean Koontz's Watchers will appreciate the title to today's post. Probably the best he's ever written. I have read it so many times, and it still affects me when I read it. :-)

SO I'm not posting much today- I apologize for that. The fiddle is broke is a reference that I really don't feel well. Zander has had a bit of a cold- and my thoughtful son shared. Of course I never get a "bit" of anything.

So since I am unwell, I have a pot roast going in the crockpot. Pot roast is one of the few things I make in a crockpot that doesn't have that crockpot flavor to it. In reality, mine is super simple. I take a good size chuck roast, season it with salt and pepper, and throw it in the pot. I pour an undiluted can of Campbell's French Onion soup over the top and turn it on low for about 6 hours. For the last two I will throw in some vegetables, and turn it up to high. I forgot to get the soup yesterday and since I don't feel much like going out, I made my own condensed soup- sort of. I took a cup of boiling water and added 2 teaspoons beef soup base. Then I added a handful of dried onion slices from Penzeys. The roast got extra seasoning with Chicago Steak Seasoning. I made sure the onions were soft from the hot broth before pouring it over. The canned soup is easier and lazier- but the homemade version is actually better, so it all works out okay.

Hopefully tomorrow I will feel like cooking. If not, Sunday I am making a Mexican inspired dinner, and I will be sure and post recipes then. Happy weekend!

No comments: