Wednesday, July 27, 2005

It's zucchini time!

Well, the garden has started to run over. Mom shared with me the first bunch of "bread zucchini" as we call it. One zucchini made four loaves of zucchini bread. I popped two into the freezer- but I am happily munching away at the other two. I still use my mom's bread recipe with a minor adjustment. I did my searching, and the bread with the flavor I liked best was Mom's. The only thing I don't like about it is the cup of oil. So instead I use 1/2 cup oil, and 1/2 cup applesauce. Works perfectly. It's enough oil to mantain the integrity of the bread. Yesterday's breads were Mom's version- with chocolate chips, because I had a bag of mini chips to use up. Today I am using the second large bread zucchini, and I plan to make chocolate zucchini bread. (After I go and get some cocoa, of course). I thought I would share that recipe. It's just enough different. And I think the recipe originally came from Mom Waz. I'm not totally sure of that- but it is one of the few recipes Andy had when we got together, and it's a keeper. I don't usually reduce the oil in this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 1/2 cups zucchini -- shredded
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine ingredients, and pour into 2 loaf pans.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- -

No comments: