Friday, August 26, 2005

Pumpkin Pie, Roasted Vegetables, and No SPAM on my blog please.

Please don't post a spam comment on my blog. I will simply delete it anyway- so save yourself the time and just don't do it. Thank you.

So tonight I tried a new recipe for roasted vegetables from Fresh Every Day. Very good, and very easy to throw together. I've been having fun at the local farmstand, so I threw it together with things I had purchased from there. I chose to do the variation with broccoli- and it was fabulous! I've never roasted broccoli- and quite honestly, didn't think it would be very good- but it surpirsed me. An instant hit, and the possibilities are limitless. I'll post the recipe in a little bit.

The pumpkin pie was fabulous! I am going back to the farmstand to pick up more pie pumpkins. I figure that I can bake them and freeze the pulp in 2 cup containers- just what I need for one pie. I tried a new crust recipe that I am quite pleased with. It is a Flaky Pie Crust- also from Fresh Every Day, but I did add a few teaspoons of sugar to the dough- I like my crust to be on the sweet side. Next time I will add a whole tablespoon though. But the crust was very easy to work with- and extremely flaky and tender- it may become my standby crust. I have another disk of dough in the fridge for apple pie later this weekend. I got my first bags of Paula Red's- and they are sooooo good! Must make apple pie with them. Yum.

Back to the pumpkin pie- the filling recipe was from The Joy Of Cooking. I used the variation of 3 eggs, and other than that, made the recipe as written. Next time, however, I think I will reduce the ginger by half. It was a little overwhelming- and I would like to taste more of the cinnamon. But a must repeat. The texture was amazing. It wasn't quite as thick and heavy as a sweet potatoe pie- but it wasn't as light as the standard custardy pumpkin pies. I really think the homemade puree made the difference here- and I think I will have a hard time going back to canned pumpkin for pies. Anyway, here's the recipes I used- for crust, pie, and vegetables. Enjoy! I am thrilled with my new kitchen, and I am inspired to cook away. There are many more adventures to come.

Roasted Mushrooms with Green Peas and Tomatoes
8 ounces cremini, button, or portobello mushrooms, wioped clean, larger ones cut int pieces
3 cups frozen petite peas (16 oz. bag) rinsed and drained
1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes ( I used chopped fresh tomatoes)
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (I used sweet yellow)
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS melted butter
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (I omitted)
1. Preheat the oven to 400
2. Place the mushrooms, peas, tomatoes, and onion on a large baking sheet with sides. Drizzle the oil and butter, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast for 18 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms are golden brown and the tomatoes soft. Sprinkle with parsley, and additional salt and pepper, and serve warm.
This recipe can also be made with broccoli or green beans, though the beans will take about 5 minutes longer to cook. You can also use this recipe as a base to prepare the vegetables on the grill.
Judy's Flaky Pie Crust
makes 2 9-inch pie crusts
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 3 TBS vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1/3 cup ice water, plus 2 to 3 TBS as needed
1 TBS white vinegar
1. Stir the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Add the shortening and cut in into the flour with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. In a seperate small bowl, beat the egg with the 1/3 cup ice water and vinegar. Pour this into the bowl with the flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until it comes together. Do not mix any more than necessary. If the dough is dry and crumbly, add more water, 1 TBS at a time, until it comes together, but don't add so much water that the dough becomes wet and sticky.
3. Lightly dust your hands and work surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto your work surface and form it into a ball with your hands. Divide the dough ball into two pieces, and flatten each piece into a disk about 1 1/2 inches thick. Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 days.
Pumpkin Pie
1 Flaky Pastry crust
2 to 3 large eggs
2 cups freshly cooked pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups light cream or evaporated milk, or 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves or allspice
1/2 tsp salt.
Preheat oven to 375. Make sure your pumpkin puree is at room temperature.Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients thoroughly. Warm the pie crust in the oven until it is hot to the touch. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust and bake in the center of the oven until the filling seems set, but quivery- like gelatin-or a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean. This could take as little as 40 minutes, or as many as 60- depending on your pumpkin and your oven. Check it every 5 minutes after 40. Let cool completely and refrigerate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Roasted Mushrooms with Green Peas and Tomatoes recipe looks great! I plan on making it this weekend...how many servings does it make?