Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Product Review Time

Part of being a foodie is being open to trying new foods. So I have decided that another facet to my blog should be product reviewing. I mean, I rave about websites, blogs, and cookbooks. Why not a new product that I think everyone should have!

The first product I will review is Yoplait's new Chocolate Whips. Now, I really don't like Yoplait's line of whips. If I want yogurt- I want yogurt. Normally the whips are way too sweet for my taste- and definitely not substantial. I don't know for sure, but I also doubt they carry the same health benefits of traditional yogurt. However, the chocolate whips are a category all their own. Copps in Green Bay carries them in Chocolate, Chocolate Cherry and Chocolate Raspberry. All I can say is yum. It is a perfect little something when you just want chocolate. Because it is in a yogurt container you can pretend it's good for you! They are on the sweet side, but not overly sweet. My least favorite is the chocolate cherry, as it has that slight almond flavor- moreso than cherry. The calories for 1 serving of chocolate whip is 160- which is a little on the steep side, but it is better than a brownie. My usual Brownie is around 298 calories for 1 brownie- so thatis substantial savings in calories. So my recommendation for Yoplait Chocolate Whips is a big thumbs up.

The second product I have to review comes from the cereal aisle. I have become quite the fan of oatmeal. And I don't mean instant powdered oatmeal. I'm talking about steel cut Irish Oats that take a good 15 minutes to fully swell up and burst with goodness. The coarser the beter, actually. I can't tell you the last time I had instant oatmeal, or even quick- cooking oats in the house. Anyway, I was looking for something new to try and stumbled upon Mother's Mulitgrain Hot Cereal. It contains 100% natural rolled rye, barley, oats,and wheat. Sounded good to me. Oh, it is wonderful! It actually only cooks in a few minutes. I have been throwing in a handful of dried fruit along with the cereal, and it needs very little as far as a sweetener goes. It's so good, and it really sticks with me. What's rare is that I can stick with the recommended serving amount- add my dried fruit and a drizzle of milk, and it's a fabulously healthy breakfast- and I feel like I'm spoiling myself. I just wish I'd found this cereal during berry season. It would be phenomenal with some juicy blackberries and a drizzle of honey. So Mother's Mulitgrain Hot Cereal gets a huge thumbs up from me!

If you have a favorite new something that you would like me to try and review- let me know, I will be open to suggestions! And I'm always up for a challenge- well, unless mice are on the menu. :-)

No comments: