Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Under-Appreciated Egg

I think we don't eat enough eggs. I can't tell you how many time I open the fridge and think, there's nothing here to eat. Yet there is always a carton of eggs. So today I made myself a little fritatta for lunch, and I have to tell you, it is wonderful. The beauty of a fritatta is that you can put in whatever you have on hand, and it always come sout good. And you don't need a crust. If you add a crust, then it's more like quiche- which is a wonderful experience all in itself. Anyway, here is today's fritatta. I did use up a tiny knob of the Irish Cheddar that I have been enjoying, but again, this goes back to using what you have on hand.

Today's Fritatta

4 eggs, beaten
1/4 C. half and half
Pinch sea salt
1/8 tsp. California Seasoned Pepper (Penzeys)
Dash Penzey's Fox Point
2 Slices prosciutto, chopped
2 TBS Irish White Cheddar cheese, crumbled
1 small roasted red pepper, finely diced (about 2 TBS when chopped)
1/8 C. finely chopped broccoli

Combine eggs, half and half, salt and seasonings. Beat well with a whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients, and pour into a greased small baking dish. Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, or until set.

Now I am off to find a good recipe for Caramel Apple Pie. If I meet success there, I will be sure and share it. :-)

2 comments:

Joe said...

I love fritattas. There are so many options to go with them and a great way to clean out the fridge with leftovers. They reheat well too! This looks like a great recipe!

Erika W. said...

I forgot to add that I also diced up a handful of red and yellow cherry tomatoes as a garnish- and that fresh burst of flavor, really complemented the fritatta well. :-)

I have a new appreciation for the fritatta, and I am eyeing up the mushrooms and leeks sitting in my fridge needing to be used up soon.