Sunday, October 2, 2005

Pumpkin Wrap Up

My pumpkin challenge for the weekend is officially over. A big thank you to Elizabeth for finishing it for me with her pumpkin flan. It was quite good, and I have the recipe here from her, so we all cna have some caramelly flan goodness. It was somewhat reminiscent of pumpkin pie, yet not quite. It was good. It makes me think that I would like to figure out how to add a layer of caramel to my pumpkin pie. Anyway, here is that recipe. I also tried out a new salad tonight. It was a pickled onion, garbanzo bean, and tomato salad- and I really liked that. I will post that recipe tomorrow, as Zander is having a rough nite and needs some Mommy time.

Pumpkin Flan

1 1/2 C. Sugar
4 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp pie spice
1 16 oz. can pumpkin
1 13 oz. can evaporated milk

Put 1 cup of sugar into a heavy skillet and stir over medium heat until the sugar melts and carmalizes. Immediately, pour into a 10 inch pie pan and tilt to coat.

Beat remaining 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, spice, pumpkin, and evaporated milk. Pour into the prepared pan. Place pan in another pan and fill with 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Cool and refrigerate until serving.

Makes 6-8 servings

No comments: