Saturday, October 29, 2005

Well, they smell good.

Today I am making brownies. To be specific, Chocolate Mint Brownies. This is one of those recipes that I would never really think to make it myself. I am not a huge mint fan with chocolate, but it does have its moments. This is one of those moments. I see these brownies frequently at picnics and potlucks. And I can never eat just one- they are so good. I finally tracked down the recipe, and they are baking as we speak. I know they will be great, so I have no need to wait until they are completed to post the recipe. I fully admit though, that the recipe threw me. It only calls for 1 cup of flour, and it also calls for 1 can of chocolate syrup. Interesting. I am expecting a nicely fudgy brownie. My only caveat is that by the time I include the filling and ganache topping, there will be 3 sticks of butter in this one brownie recipe. That is quite a bit. So when I am beating the filling, I intend to start with half of the butter there and see how that works. Same with the chocolate topping. I may just use half of that anyways. I will let you know if I end up making any changes. In the meantime I am going to wait for them to finish baking.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Chocolate Mint Brownies
Serving Size : 24

1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can chocolate syrup
1 cup sugar
Filling:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
3 drops green food coloring
Topping
10 ounces mint chocolate chips
9 tablespoons butter

Combine first 7 ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Combine filling, beat until creamy, spread over brownies. refridgerate 30 minutes. Melt chocolate chips and butter together, let cool for 30 minutes. Spread over filling, cut into squares.
Description: "Dessert"Yield: "1 piece"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 319 Calories; 16g Fat (43.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 64mg Cholesterol; 182mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.


I am thinking that this recipe has possiblities for endless variations. I am thinking about subbing raspberry extract and pink food coloring in the filling, and using raspberry chocolate chips for the topping. You could also just choose to make the mint a pink color, make a pan of each, and alternate the colors for a really pretty brownie plate. Or perhaps adding orange extract to the filling, orange color, and using dark chocolate chips for the topping- along with some finely chopped toasted pecans. Or how about a coconut variation? Add coconut extract to the filling, and some toasted coconut flakes to the topping. Oh my, this has serious playing potential. I will share any variations I make. :-)

No comments: