Monday, December 12, 2005

Progress Today!


You know what I love about the holidays? Thinking about people. Thinking about all the family and friends that I have, and thinking about those who have moved on. It was so exciting to hear from my cousing Joe this morning, that I just got right into the holiday spirit. I've had a bit of a lift in my toes today. So thanks Joe for your inspiration!!

I fixed my strange pumpkin fudge. Today I picked up a block of white confectionary coating to dip the fudge in. I really like the way confectionary coating handles. The flavor isn't spectacular, but it makes a classy looking candy. And let me tell you. That punch of sweetness was exactly what the pumpkin fudge needed. Seriously. I had already decided to toss the pumpkin fudge recipe. Now I am thinking that the fudge has been deemd "Christmas Plate Worthy". So I am very happy about that. And as long as I was dipping fudge, I grabbed a bag of pretzels and dunked some pretzels. I added some green and red sprinkles, and Abigail will be very excited when she gets home from school. I have to see if I can find those Christmas tree pretzels for the Open House...

I also just took a pan of Cranberry Pecan Bars out of the oven. They smell fabulous. I hva enever made them before, but when I was looking at my goodie list, I realized it was very short on cookies and bars- more candy and chocolate than anything. So I grabbed a classic cookbook that I have never cooked from BHG Cookies, Cookies,Cookies. This is a cute book it has two sides to it. One side is regular cookies, and then you flip the book over and it has Christmas cookies. A little cheesy, but cute. The first ones that jumped out were these ones, and the big question was the cranberries...would I have enough? Just. The only change I had to make was with the crust. It just didn't seem to me like it would hold together, so I added 3 more tablespoons of butter to the curst before I had a consistency I was happy with. And like I mentioned, these smell divine. I also have a pork roast in the crockpot melting away, so the combination of roasted pork and baking cranberries and orange, oh my. My house smells incredible right now.

Up next, I think will be some Gingersnaps. I think that will nicely round out the scent-a-thon going on in my house. :-) Here is the recipe for the Cranberry Pecan Bars, I will share the Gingersnap recipe when I decide which one to make...

* Exported from MasterCook *
Cranberry Pecan Bars

Serving Size : 36

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter -- or margarine
1/2 cup pecans -- finely chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 whole eggs -- beaten
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon orange peel -- finely shredded
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cranberries -- chopped
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup pecans -- finely chopped

For Crust: In a medium bowl combine the 1 cup flour and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Press flour mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13x2 pan. Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine remaining sugar and flour. Stir in the eggs, milk, orange peel, and vanilla. Fold in cranberries, coconut,and pecans. Spread over partially baked crust. Bake in a 350 oven for 25 to 30 minutes more, or until top is lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. While still warm, cut into bars. Cool completely. Makes 36.
Source: "BHG Cookies, Cookies, Cookies" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 96 Calories; 5g Fat (48.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 30mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

No comments: