Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Return of The Truffle...


Today I am returning to my happy place. The land of chocolate. You know the "Nerve Center" on Willie Wonka? The chocolate river, the room full of candy? That is my happy place. After deciding to stop the candy madness going on in my kitchen, I have returned to the one item that truly makes me smile. My Truffles. I am very proud of my truffles. It is a truffle center unlike any I have ever had. My secret? A whipping. Traditionally, a truffle is made with chocolate and whipping cream, creating a ganache. The ganache is chilled and rolled into balls. Well. I add butter, an egg yolk, and occasionally a flavoring before chilling. After chilling, my ganache gets beaten with a mixer until light and fluffy. Really, the tough part has been figuring out how to wrap it in chocolate. It is so soft and delicate, but I have figured it out, and today I am making two more varieties of truffle. I am making a plain jane chocolate truffle, and a sinful Mexican truffle that has been laced with a spicy cinnamon syrup and a sprinkle of Vietnamese cinnamon. I will share the recipe today, but be warned, it takes a bit to work with. It took me close to 10 years to get it right, so just have some patience. And yes, it was worth the wait.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Truffles

6 squares semisweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1 egg yolk -- beaten
3 tablespoons rum, brandy, coffee liquer, orange liquer, framboise, or whipping cream
chocolate for dipping

In a heavy 2 qt saucepan combine semisweet chocolate, butter, and whipping cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts (about 10 minutes). Remove saucepan from heat.
Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolk. Return the mixture to the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove saucepan from heat.
Stir in rum, brandy, liquer, or whipping cream. Transfer mixture to a small mixing bowl. Cover and chill until completely cool and smooth, stirring occassionally (about 1 1/2 hours).
Beat chilled misture with an electric mixer on medium speed until slightly fluffy (about 2 minutes). Chill till mixture holds its shape (15 minutes). Drop by well rounded teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Chill until firm (about 30 minutes). Gently shape into balls. Chill again until ready to dip them.
Dip truffles, one at a time into tempered dipping cholcolate or confectioners coating. Let stand until coating is dry. Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place up to 2 weeks. Or freeze for up to 1 month.
**Alternately, you can roll truffle mixture into cocoa or finely chopped nuts

1 comment:

Dawna said...

How delicious they sound! I haven't made truffles in years, but I keep thinking that I should get back to it. So rewarding... I really like your idea for the whipped filling, too.