Saturday, December 31, 2005

A Simple Supper



Tonight's dinner was very simple, but quite good. Hoisin and Honey Glazed Pork Chops was a super simple meal. The original source is Gourmet magazine, but the inspiration came from my Sister-In-Law Belle who asked if I had a recipe for such a thing. A brief search found several different sources of the identical recipe. This was a sweet sauce, and sort of threw Andy a little bit. In his defense, I ran out of dijon mustard and decided the honey mustard would be an okay substitute. Later I found the Chinese Mustard in the fridge- which proabbly would have made the best substitution. But the pork chops themselves were succulent, and plenty juicy. Fabulously so. They were perfectly done after 20 minutes of baking and about 6/7 minutes of broiling. I used a thick cut pork chop from my local butcher, and will definitely be buying their chops again. I served this up with plain rice, a light salad, and green beans. I will be keeping this recipe, as I really enjoyed the sauce. I think it would also make a great Asian inspired kabob- and would be incredible grilled.

I apologize for the quality of the food styling here. This will take some getting used to I think. :-)

Oops. Almost forgot to share the recipe:
* Exported from MasterCook *
HOISIN AND HONEY GLAZED PORK CHOPS


1 bunch scallions
1/4 cup Asian oyster sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 pork chops (2 lb total) -- (1-inch-thick)
Accompaniment: cooked rice

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Cut scallions diagonally into 2-inch pieces.
Whisk together remaining ingredients except pork in a large bowl. Add scallions and pork, turning pork to coat generously with sauce.
Arrange pork in 1 layer in a 15- by 10-inch shallow baking pan (1 inch deep). Spoon remaining sauce with scallions over pork and roast until just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn on broiler and broil pork 5 to 6 inches from heat until top is slightly caramelized, 2 to 5 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Serve pork topped with any pan juices. Serves 4.
Source: "Gourmet January 2004"



No comments: