Wednesday, January 4, 2006

The Great Cake Hunt


So for those who don't know, Rachel and Cody's wedding is coming up quickly, on February 18th. I have been honored by being asked to make the wedding cake. At least I think I'm honored. :-) Rachel would like three layers. The largest layer will be a chocolate cake with a fudge filling. The next layer will be a white cake with red sprinkles throughout and raspberry filling. The top layer will be a lemon poppyseed cake with lemon filling. The whole deal will be frosted in a Vanilla Buttercream, dusted with luster dust, and decorated with flowers- edible if I can get them, otherwise they will be silk flowers.

Well, the first challenge is to find good cakes. This past weekend I tested the white cake, and I found a winner right off the bat. Elegant White Cake is a recipe by the good people at King Arthur Flour. It is a fabulous white cake. It is not a dry cake, yet it is not overly moist. Too moist of a cake will crack while layering and while cutting, so texture is key for the wedding cake. I am searching for two components for each cake. The main component is definitely flavor. The cake must be good. So today it was on to chocolate. When I make a homemade chocolate cake, I usually reach for a Devil's Food cake. I just love them. But they are not super chocolatey- which I am looking for in this cake. So today's attempt led me to Val from the CLBB. I really, really, value her opinions and recommendations on baking, so I wanted to try her cake first.

Preacher's Cake is incredibly easy, and is very good. While it is not chocolatey enough to be part of my wedding cake, it is a fantastic cake. I will enjoy eating what remains of it. It does remind me of the Devil's Food cake, but this has something more to it, I can't really say what it is, but it is an instant hit, and will become my quick go-to chocolate cake. So here is the recipe- it's calling your name! Try it!
Preacher's Chocolate Cake

Recipe By : ValChemist on CLBB

1 c brown sugar

1 c sugar

1/2 c shortening

2 eggs -- beaten

2 c flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsps soda

1/2 c cocoa

1/2 c buttermilk

1 c boiling water

1 tsp vanilla

Buttercream Frosting:

1 lb powdered sugar

1/2 c butter -- softened

1 tsp vanilla

3 tbsps cream -- (2- 3 tbsp)


Cream sugars and shortening; add eggs and beat very well. Add dry ingredients alternatelly with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in boiling water and vanilla.
Pour in a greased 13x9 pan and bake 30-35 minutes in a preheated 350 oven. (can also be baked in 2 9-inch round pans for 25-30 minutes)
Cool cake for 20 minutes. Invert onto serving platter. Cool cake completely. Frost with buttercream frosting.

No comments: