Friday, January 13, 2006

Southern Comfort Food



One thing I learned last spring on our travels to Florida, is that Southerners REALLY know their breakfast food. Particularily in Alabama. We loved Alabama. In a few years we are planning a trip back to spend more time in that beautiful state. And whenever I make myself my favorite breakfast, I think fondly of that state and the people who live there. And of course, I think about our trip and how wonderful it was, so this is always a good breakfast. Simple Cheesy Grits with a fried egg on top is a morning of perfection.

I start with the grits. I do not prepare quick cooking grits, as old-fashioned grits have a fantastic texture that gets lost with quicker cooking ones. I cook the grits according to package directions with a pinch of salt. After they're cooked up, I stir in plenty of black pepper and freshly grated cheddar cheese. Into my bowl they go, awaiting the capper. Then I fry an egg up in olive oil, seasoning with salt, pepper, and Penzey's Fox Point. After placing the just-cooked egg on top of the grits, I simply must demolish the yolk, allowing that golden goodness to ooze all over the grits. All that is needed to finish off this bowl of happiness is a cup of coffee. I love my breakfast. I do not make it often, as it is a treat to be savored. The only thing that could be better is having this breakfast in a little diner in Alabama. Someday. :-)

No comments: