Friday, April 7, 2006

Score!

Tonight I turned to an old favorite and a new star. And oh, was it good. Tonight's entree was CL's Maple Glazed Salmon. This was in Cooking Light magazine several years ago, and I have made it a few times, but I just don't make it very often. This is the salmon by which we compare all others. And quite frankly, we have yet to meet it's match. Tonight I chose to pair the salmon with a recipe from the latest issue of Cooking Light, Orange Scented Couscous Salad with Almonds, Cilantro, and Cucumbers. Wow, was that a great salad! And it really perfectly accompanied the salmon. I mean, perfectly.




I did make a few changes to the salad though to be completely honest. I omitted the chicken called for because this was a side dish after all. I also added more dried cranberries than called for and I doubled the dressing. Oh, and I used whole wheat couscous instead of regular. The salad was so good! A perfect balance. The orange flavor really shines here- I used freshly squeezed orange juice, and I highly recommend that. And definitely double the dressing. It was perfect as it was, I think it would have been slightly on the dry side had I used the dressing as written. I didn't double the amount of olive oil in the dressing though, I like my vinaigrettes and dressings to be mre vinegar than oil, so I didn't double that. A big thanks to Joe of Culinary in the Desert for taking the salad for it's maiden voyage. Most definitely a keeper, and I'm sensing some replay time this summer for picnics and potlucks and the like. It would even be good with the maple glazed salmon mixed in...

That's all for tonight, it's been a long day and I'm looking forward to waking up in the morning without the alarm, so have a great weekend!

Tagged with:

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I really need to try that salad--the reviews I've seen have all been great. And I have couscous in the pantry. It's on my to-make list.

Erika W. said...

Oh yes, try it! You won't be disappointed.