Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I do try...

Honestly, I do try to eat healthier. I am always eager to try new foods and new combinations of foods in an effort to eat healthy and also have it be tasty. But lately I have discovered a few things that I guess I am just not going to be able to eat. The first of that being Tofu. I tried. I made up a peanut stir-fry that I knew would be good, and prepared some tofu to go with it. I took one bite, and immediately started gagging. Literally. Taste wise, the tofu was fine, it happily drank up my marinade and tasted okay. But that texture... I just couldn't do it. I can't do it, and I don't intend to try again. And before I get all the e-mails that I didn't prepare it properly, let me assure you, I did. I used White Wave Extra firm tofu which I pressed between paper towels for 30 minutes, and then I let it soak up the marinade for an additional 30. I pan seared it until it was golden brown on all sides, but it just isn't for me. And along those lines, I also reject Soy-Gurt. Ugh. And that's all I'll say about that one. I'm thinking that my dairy loving, meat eating self is just going to have to accept the fact that I don't care for soy products. Except for the Chocolate Silk. Mmm. Milkshake in a carton.

Tonight was another such example. I decided to try a new brand of frozen french fry. Alexia brand sweet potato fries caught my attention. They promise no trans-fats, and look great. And I will say, with all fairness, these are probably great sweet potato fries- if you like sweet potato fries. No matter how many ways I try them, I just am having a hard time eating sweet potatoes any way but sweet. Give em to me boiled and mashed with a drizzle of butter, or give em to me loaded with brown sugar and marshmallows. But please don't masquerade in something meant to be for a brown baking potato. Another ugh. However, I will be trying other versions of Alexia potatoes- just not the sweets again. No more savory sweet potatoes for me.

And that's it for tonight. I will sign off for the day with these pictures of Andy and Zander mowing the lawn.


Like father like son. =D

No comments: