Sunday, May 7, 2006

Mmmm. Coconut. Good.


Only Homer Simpson could accurately describe Martha's Coconut Cake. It truly is something special. It truly is not something lite either. :-) But sometimes, you just need to indulge. This cake is everything a good cake should be. It's moist, packed with flavor, and has a very nice texture to it. The crumb is fairly dense, but not overly so. And it tastes like coconut. Real coconut. Sweetened coconut flakes are processed so they are a lot more fine, and then combined with the flour. Butter and sugar are creamed with eggs and egg whites before adding in the flour. And for a little liquid, Coconut milk fits the bill. It's perfect. The coconut flakes and th ecoconut milk combine to provide a rich coconut flavor that is the real deal. No coconut extract or fake flavors are added. I frosted it with the suggested 7-minute frosting. Now, I'm usually a buttercream girl, but I am so glad I went with the 7 minute. It added to the cake nicely without taking over in the least. And for a final touch, I sprinkled the cake with toasted coconut. Decadence at its finest. This cake was inhaled by all tonight, with multiple pieces passing across each and every plate. How could I not recommend this cake? The only person who would not like this cake would be the one who doesn't like coconut. And even then I have my doubts. While the coconut flavor is intense, it is pure. It isn't a cloying fake coconut flavor. Pure goodness. I can't wait to bake up another cake from Martha. But how to choose...

I have typed the recipe into the Recipe Trove, and you can check it out over there. The recipe is lengthy, but it really didn't take as long as you would think.

No comments: