Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A favorite go-to dinner


In my need to unload earlier, I forgot to share yesterday's dinner experience. Dinner last night was one of my favorite go-to recipes, Mini Cheddar Meatloaves. I'm not 100% sure where this recipe originate from, but I'm fairly certain it was a Taste Of Home magazine. Cooking Light also has a similar meatloaf, but the TOH one is better. So I was putting the little meatloaves in the pan when Abigail popped her head in. "Mommy, is there anything I can help with?" Well, how could I say no to that. So I let her make the sauce to go on top of the meatloaves. I gave her the bowl and whisk, and I tossed in ketchup, two mustards, brown sugar, and worcestershire sauce. I got a "yuck" about the mustard, a "can I taste?" from the sugar, and a "boy Mommy, that sure smells good" from the worcestershire. And then she shocked me by asking if she could taste the sauce. So she did and proclaimed it good.

I showed her how to gently spoon the sauce over one of the meatloaves, and in walks Zander. Actually, he kinda ran once he saw Abigail was helping cook. "Me too! Me too! I want to help!" Hmmm... I had to think quickly. There really wasn't anything else to help with. So I pulled two cans of corn out of the cupboard and removed the lids. Zander's job was to pour the corn into the saucepan. Simple, but he was thrilled to help, and puffed up with pride when I told Daddy that Zander made the corn. It was great having their help last night. Once dinner was in the oven cooking away, they wanted to help further, so I set them to the task of emptying the dryer. Lol. Abigail literally was crawling in to get the laundry at the back, and then handing the clothes to Zander to put in the basket. (Photo to be inserted later, apparantly)

Dinner was wonderful. Made even better by the little hands that prepared it. And to take it one step further, last night's leftovers are being completely reinvented for dinner tonight. Come back tomorrow for that discussion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how many little hands you have to help!

Erika W. said...

What would I do without them!

:-D