Thursday, October 19, 2006

Quiet Week

I guess it's been a bit of a quiet week in my kitchen. I was on such a roll, and I just haven't been cooking anything spectacular or noteworthy. The next few days should perk up a bit. I have something new to try tonight for dinner, so come back for that. Tomorrow my sister Lizzie and her hubby are visiting us, so a special dinner is in order, plus Saturday is Andy's birthday... I really should find out what he would like to eat.

Today Zander and I made a special trip to the butcher to pick up a few things, and when we returned, I decided I just had to bake something. But what to bake, that was the question. We're still working on the nut cookies from a few days ago, so I didn't need to make cookies. We finished off the brownies yesterday, which by the way, my entire family went ga-ga over them, so they are an instant redo and will be made again very soon. So today I decided it was time for a quick bread. However, when I went to pull out the loaf pans, I decided that I wanted muffins instead. Instantly visions of biting into a bakery fresh cranberry nut muffin popped into my memory banks, and I knew my decision had been made for me. A quick search through the fridge confirmed that I had the cranberries. Delicious and delightful, the only thing missing from these muffins (I think) is a hint of orange zest. The combination of buttermilk and leavening gives them a beautiful lift, and they are exactly what I was looking for. Perfect for a cool afternoon with a spot of tea. You can find the recipe for Cranberry-Walnut Muffins in my recipe trove.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These look really good. I've found that if I want a fruity taste in muffins that don't mold quickly, dried cranberries are the best bet!

All Things Jennifer said...

MMM. I will be trying these sometime this week.

Erika W. said...

Oh yes, I use dried cranberries all the time. And I bet they would be excellent in these muffins as well. I just was in luck with half a bag of fresh cranberries. Of course, I don't think I've ever had a muffin get moldy. Mmm. Muffins.

Alysha said...

Those do have a nice lift - they look yummy.

Sometimes muffins can get pretty moist as they sit around in a baggie, so I often keep them in the freezer. They don't take long to thaw, or you can nuke them for just a little.

Erika W. said...

Alysha, I loooove having muffins in the freezer. Like most quick breads, I've found they are much better after they've been frozen and thawed. They usually just never make it that far though. :-)