Tuesday, February 27, 2007

As Promised... those tacos!

I had my Rick Bayless returned to me yesterday. And right away I hunted for that pork recipe. We happened to have had it again just this past Sunday, and it was still incredible. Seriously! And since there were leftovers this time, our friends generously left them with us and we had it again last night. This is the type of pork filling that needs very little adornment. Usually tacos have meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and whatever sauces or condiments you want. Cheese would completely take away from the wonderful flavor, and the lettuce just seemed un-necessary to me. So we had it simply with tomato, sour cream, and salsa. Although last week we had it with a guacamole that was excellent as well, and I would be remiss if I failed to mention that a handful of cilantro would put these tacos straight into the hall of fame.

Smoky Shredded Pork Tacos
are in the Recipe Trove for anyone who's up for a worthy adventure. There is a bit of a process, I must warn you. But our friend followed the recipe to a "T" except for the addition of almonds at the end. The raisins and the spices are definitely a must- so please don't skip that part. I also need to recommend that you do not use store bought tortillas or taco shells for this recipe unless you have access to a taqueria where they make them fresh. I actually recommend you use my recipe for Corn Crepes. After the success of this recipe, let me assure you that I am looking for something else in this Rick Bayless cookbook, Mexican Kitchen. When I first got it, I flipped through, thinking all the recipes sounded so daunting. But if they even taste half as good as that pork...well, they will definitely be worth it. Oh, and sorry about the photo... I couldn't figure out how to get a good picture of the inside of a taco...

No comments: