Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Slice

Over the last few days on the CLBB, there has been a discussion about Australia and some of the foods there. One of these creatures is called A Slice. A slice in Australia (best as I can tell anyway) is any kind of sliced bar cookie or dessert. And one of the Aussie's on the bulletin board shared a really quick, really simple version of a slice. And let me tell you, a Mars Bar Slice is all that AND a bag of chips. A Mars Bar in Australia is the same as a 3 Musketeers bar here in the states. (Yet a Mars Bar in the UK is similar to a Milky Way, and our Mars Bar is like a Snickers- only with almonds, where is the uniformity!) Anyway, the Mars Bar Slice couldn't be any easier to make.

You take 4 full size 3 Musketeers bars and melt them with 3 tablespoons of butter- this took 1 1/2 minutes in my microwave. Then you mix in 3 cups of Rice Krispies and press the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Allow it to firm up and set, and cut into slices. That's it. So easy, and a really fun twist on a Rice Krispie treat. These are thinner than a Krispie Treat, but the candy bars make them much sweeter, so the proportions work out perfectly. My only problem with them is that I can't stop eating them! They are really good. I also think this would be a perfect way to use up leftover Halloween candy, and I suspect that you could use any of the nougaty candy bars. Give them a try!
Today is day one of a huge snowstorm for us. It could get a bit blizzardy out tomorrow- and the snow is not supposed to entirely let up until Monday, so the kids are very excited that there will be measurable snow to play in. So the weather today has inspired me to attempt to make Hungarian Goulash. And who better to turn to for an Austro-Hungarian recipe than Wolfgang Puck, tomorrow I'll be sharing the results of that adventure. I'll also be updating over at The Savvy Bookworm. I have been reading, but failing to post, so I'll get a couple new books reviewed over there today for anyone interested. Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SNOW STORM?!?! We've got 70 degree weather here! Wow, the difference a little longitude makes. We had those Mars bars in Kyrgyzstan and made a Mars bar cake. I'll have to find the recipe and pass it one...I remember that it was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

wow...you guys are pretty much stuck with snowstorms, huh? it's raining and raining in oregon right now, which one do you think you like better? :D
i've baked some cookies with rice krispies 2 days ago but didn't like the recipe that much. your bars looks very yummy though!

Erika W. said...

Wow Claire! 70!! I'm terribly jealous! That Mars Bar Cake sounds fantastic, if you find it anywhere, I'd love to see it.

Eliza, I think right now I'd rather have the snow. We haven't had much snow this winter, and the kids are dying to play in it. Normally, I prefer rain, but it's really too early for rain- I would get that itch to do some gardening or something, and it's definitely too early for that.