Thursday, March 22, 2007

I Found It!

I finally found the crock pot recipe that I've been looking for. The crock-pot recipe that the whole family enjoys, and most importantly, doesn't taste like everything else cooked in the crock pot. Yesterday before heading to ballet class, I put the fixings for macaroni and cheese into the crock-pot before leaving and came home to a pot of cheesy goodness. It was very much like an oven baked macaroni and cheese in texture, so I wasn't sure the kids would dig in, actually. Lo and behold though, they did, and they both declared it good!

This was a 30 second meal. Macaroni, eggs, evaporated milk, milk, salt, pepper, and cheese are combined in a crock pot and cooked on low for 5 hours. And actually 5 hours was a little long for me- the edges were pretty browned, and while I thought that the tastiest part, next time I think I'll plan for it to be done in 4 1/2 hours. And look at that ingredient list! Economical to boot, we'll be making this one many times over. I have the recipe for Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese in the Recipe Trove, just waiting for you to give it a try. I think that you could get away with using low-fat ingredients as well for the milks, and maybe the cheese. Although I am not a fan of low-fat cheese, so I can't say for sure. Try it, and let me know what you think.

No comments: