Tuesday, May 29, 2007

We're Back!

We had a really great weekend away. It was great visiting with my brother and his wife and we're already looking forward to the next time. We did a little visiting, a little shopping, a little playing, and it seems a bit of eating.

Shortly after arriving, I realized we forgot to pack the kids toothbrushes and toothpaste, so we had to make a stop at the grocery store for that. While there, my brother wanted to take the opportunity to show us the new and improved cheese section, and that turned into an impromptu cheese party. Andy and I were only too thrilled to share some of our new found cheese knowledge.
If I remember right, we sampled, Cahill Porter, Butterkase, Manchego, Irish Cheddar, Bocconcini, and an herb cheese from Holland. They were all good of course, and my brother and sister in law found new cheeses that they enjoy from around the world. We also ate out a bit while visiting. We ate at a little Italian bistro where we enjoyed some fantastic pasta and sausage hoagies. We also indulged in some Chicago style pizza while visiting, as well as lunch at The Mall of America. I definitely feel over-fed from the weekend- although I'm sure the late night ColdStone Creamery did not help that feeling.

Then there was Ikea. Ikea, Ikea, how I love to shop thee. It's been such a long time since I was at an Ikea! We saw so many things that we would love to have. We did manage to pick up a bag full of odds and ends. We picked up some practical things like pot lid racks for the cupboards and a hamper for Zander. Then some not so practical like a huge canopy for Abigail's bed and a new can opener. Then there were the unexpected treasures. Like this mortar and pestle.
I've been wanting one for a long time, and fairly recently I saw an episode of Kylie Kwong where she made a tagine and used a mortar and pestle to combine about 30 herbs, spices, chiles, and aromatics. It looked amazing, so I'm looking forward to using this awesome kitchen tool. Then there was the most unexpected purchase, our new dining room table.

I have really been wanting a new table for some time now, but it's really not been an affordable option. This table was just the right price, and the perfect size. As is, it's actually a tiny bit smaller than our old table, but once it's expanded and has the two leaves dropped in, it's bigger. I love it. The old table was broken and put together so many times, it literally was on its last legs. My only problem with this table is it's so pretty! I like to have tablecloths on my table, and this one is too pretty to cover right now. The last thing I expected to come home with from Ikea is a new dining table! Next trip we may think about some new dining chairs too...

So there's some highlights from our trip. Now I have to dash off and figure out a grocery list for the week ahead. I have no idea what this week will bring...other than something Indian so I can use my new mortar and pestle. Happy Tuesday everyone!

2 comments:

Joe said...

I'm sure you covered this before... but how often do you get to the cities? :)

Erika W. said...

Hey Joe! Routine for us is once a year, but this year it looks like it will be at least once more. We love visiting there, and everytime we go we find more places to go and more things we want to do. Before we know it we'll be taking several weeks to get everything in.