Thursday, August 2, 2007

Revisiting A Favorite

I haven't made this recipe in a long time. For a while it was Andy's favorite, and we made it quite a bit, so I got a little sick of it. It's a recipe for Thai BBQ Beef that I got from a recipe card. You know, those recipe collections that you get a few recipes every few weeks, and over the course of time you end up paying several hundred dollars for a collection? Yeah... I actually collected quite a few of them before cancelling. What I really liked about the recipe cards after a while was that each and every recipe came with a tempting picture. When Abigail was old enough to understand, I would sit her down with the recipe cards and she would look through them, looking for things that she thought she'd like Mommy to cook. This particular set was geared towards healthy cooking, and I really never made a bad recipe from the cards. They've since made their way to my sister, but I do still have this recipe.

The Thai BBQ beef starts with a fairly basic BBQ sauce, but with the addition of peanut butter and soy sauce. The beef cooks slowly in the sauce until tender, and really ends up rich and delicious. I always liked to serve it up with noodles tossed with garlic and ginger, and an orange dipping sauce. Since I'm making this tonight for dinner, I'm not entirely sure what I'll make with it tonight. The hot weather is screaming for salad, so we'll likely see what the farmstand has to offer this week- last week they had a lot of wonderful produce. The recipe for Thai Style BBQ Beef calls for beef ribs, but we've used endless cuts of beef with this. Tougher pieces just need to cook longer, and one of these times I'm going to try short ribs in the crock pot with this sauce.

Tomorrow, a zucchini collection. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great.

I've never made ribs before (except Baby Back Ribs once). I know my market had a ton of varieties -- I am never sure which one to try. I wonder if I just say "beef rib" to them. Can you tell I am not well versed in the different types. But I love them!

How many does the recipe serve?

I don't have molasses, going to see if I can sub something. Or would you suggest I buy some -- since a sub would change the recipe too much.

Many thanks! Can't wait!

Erika W. said...

Hey Anonymous! I would say this recipe would serve 4, but again, that would depend on the cut of beef- ribs are more rich than say, stew meat. (And you could use stew meat even, it would just need longer to tenderize.)

If you don't have molasses I would suggest subbing in some brown sugar- maybe 1/4 cup, and then you might need to add a little water to the sauce (or beef stock).