Thursday, September 13, 2007

Orange cake?

I will be back later today. I have it in my head that I want to bake an orange cake. Is there such a thing? I guess I'll find out...

Update: here's the recipe I found, I'm just not sure I'll have the time to get to it today, and I can't say I've ever seen orange cake mix either. Stay tuned.


* Exported from MasterCook *

Orange Cake

1 package orange Jell-O -- (3 ounce)
1 package orange cake mix -- (18 1/4 ounce)
2/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup water
4 large eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups icing sugar


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan; set aside.

Place all ingredients except juice and icing sugar in a large bowl.

Beat thoroughly with an electric mixer at medium speed.

Pour into pan.

Bake 35- 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center.

Leave cake in pan and pierce entire surface with fork.

In a small bowl, blend juice and icing sugar thoroughly.

Spoon evenly over cake.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmm....i've had orange bundt cake. does that count? it's sooo yummy with orange icing!! =)

Anonymous said...

paula deen has a recipe. There is also an excellent duncan hines cake mix! It tasted like those orange mini-muffins you can find at the grocery store.

cookworm said...

Erica, in case you're still looking for recipes, my favorite orange cake to make is Portuguese orange cake. This one is very similar to the recipe I use (which I can't find at the moment): http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,147161-233198,00.html
It also halves easily if you want to make it in an 8" square pan.
I also like to make a little syrup with orange juice and sugar to drizzle over the hot cake - sooo good!

Erika W. said...

OOh thanks April. I think I'm going to have to have an orange cake-off at some point. I just have it in my mind that an orange cake would be the perfect way to eat cake- light and bright and not cloying or rich like chocolate tends to get.

kelly- I saw that mix, and did think about it. Maybe I'll pick it up and use it for comparison purposes. And I'm definitely looking for that Paula recipe. She has yet to steer me wrong.