Saturday, October 27, 2007

These should really be called Blondies

It was a little bit cool in my house yesterday, just enough to offer a slight chill. And purely on principle, I refuse to turn on the heat before November 1st. Which works perfectly fine, because then I just bake something. Turning on the oven for an hour or so takes off that cool edge nicely and makes it quite comfortable here. So baking it was. I was going through my ever-growing "to-try" list, looking for something to bake where I had all the required ingredients on hand. I stopped when I came to a recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies. I read the ingredients twice, and what amazed me was that there was no butter, and only 1 tablespoon of oil. It made a small pan, and I had everything on hand, so I went to work.

The batter came together quickly, although it was quite thick. I should also add that I was generous with the peanut butter. The recipe called for 1/4 cup of peanut butter, and I used a generous 1/4 cup- probably as much as 2 extra tablespoons. I also debated adding more of the mini chocolate chips, but thought I'd try the recipe as written.

After they'd cooled enough,we dug in, and the kids and I both enjoyed them immensely. I was instantly sad that they made such a small pan of brownies. The flavor is a combination of peanut butter and butterscotch, and the texture is excellent, nicely chewy. Andy thought there could be more chocolate chips, and I think I agree. In fact I'd either up them or get rid of them, because as is, they add little more than color. I had to track down the recipe source for this one, because of course I didn't note that on the recipe before. I was a little surprised to find this was a Cooking Light recipe from 2000. Not that Cooking Light doesn't do good desserts, but that I'd missed this recipe for so long. The reviews on the website are very mixed for this recipe, so keep that in mind if you try it out. We like them and will be making them again, many people online thought they were lacking flavor, but I did add that extra peanut butter, so maybe that's the difference?

So here's the recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies. Although they really should be called blondies, because they're really not a brownie.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies
from Cooking Light magazine, June 2000

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate mini chips
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Coat bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray (do not coat sides of pan)

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Combine flour, chocolate chips, soda and salt in a bowl.

4. Combine sugars, and remaining ingredients in a bowl, stir until well blended. Add flour mixture stirring just until blended. Spread batter in bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out almost clean.

No comments: