Thursday, November 15, 2007

Brownie Attack!

Sometimes, you just want a brownie. I have found myself all too-often in the midst of a brownie craving, and rather than whip a batch together, I grab a box and make that instead. And I'm always disappointed. Every single time. Yet I still grab that box every once in a while. Why do I do that!?

Well, yesterday Zander and I were at the store, in the baking aisle, and it was his turn to discover the lure of the brownie. He pointed to the brownie mixes and begged for one. I reached out to grab one, when that alarm went off in the back of my head. It was as if a red light was flashing saying "disappointment! disappointment!" I had a true battle with myself there in the baking aisle. Those brownie mixes looked good I tell you- and as an added bonus- they were on sale! For less than two bucks I could have a pan of brownies. So I grabbed the box that most appealed to me and flipped it over. Huh. I still needed to add eggs, oil, and water. So that works out to more cost-wise for that box of disappointment. That was all that I needed to see. I put the brownie mix back, walked across the aisle, and picked up a can of cocoa. I assured Zander that we would make brownies as soon as we got home, and he was good with that.

He was very excited to make the brownies. And in fact, he did make the brownies. I had to help a little with the stirring, and chopping the walnuts, but otherwise, these were his brownies. He told me he thought they needed chocolate chips, but when I went to the pantry, I found I was out. However,there was a package of peanut butter chips, and he was thrilled with that option. So in they went and the brownies went in the oven. They couldn't cool fast enough for us, but once we finally cut into them we were rewarded with a great brownie. Full of chocolate flavor, and a truly great brownie. The peanut butter chips were a nice touch actually. Although I was informed by my son that next time they need peanut butter chips AND chocolate chips. That's my son. And these are My Mom's Brownies. They are my standard brownie, and couldn't be easier. The cocoa and oil don't seem like they would work, but really, they work for an excellent brownie experience.

Mom's Brownies

1/2 cup oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup nuts
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ยบ

Combine oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. To this, add the flour, baking powder, and cocoa- mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts as desired. Pour in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes- or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For more fudgy brownies, take the brownies out of the oven about 5 minutes early. Chill completely before cutting.

No comments: