Monday, November 26, 2007

Spinach Dip Today!

So where did that weekend go? Gosh, it's been a few days since I've blogged...my apologies to those of you checking in, waiting on baited breath for my next post. But you know, it is nice to take a break from time to time. I didn't really want to blog while company was here, since that strikes me as kind of rude. I also didn't blog the last two days because we're slowly making our way through leftovers, and that's not very exciting to blog about either. I haven't done anything fancy with the leftovers that's really eye-opening or exciting. Saturday night I took the leftover gravy, mixed in some of the ton of turkey and poured it over bread slices for open-faced sandwiches. So good, but certainly not mind-boggling. Yesterday it was soup day, I wasn't feeling well, slight sore throat, congestion, tired, and it took everything I had to chuck a few vegetables into a soup pot.

I'm feeling a little better today, but I suspect Zander and I will do a bit of movie watching today. I also have to meander through the remaining leftovers and either use it or freeze it. (Today's use it or lose it day in my house!) One leftover that I will be enjoying later on is a Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip that I made for our Thanksgiving appetizer. I was thrilled with how it turned out. I started with a recipe in the November issue of Cooking Light as my inspiration, but then I changed so many things that it really doesn't resemble itself anymore. I have a friend who makes an amazing spinach dip quite often. It's always good, and I suspect always a little bit different, as she just chucks things in the bowl. One consistent though is the Gruyere cheese, which normally, I'm not a big fan of. It's okay, and I like it in things, like salad and dips, but by itself, not so much. I knew though that if I made my dip without the Gruyere, I'd be wanting my friend's dip and missing that flavor it adds, so I picked up a tiny wedge of it and added it to the dip.

The dip was spot on, and a huge hit with everyone here. The only change I would make in the future would be...um, well, I guess I don't have a change. I could see adding some crushed red pepper flakes for an addition of heat, but that's about it. Serve it up with some garlic toasts and you'll have yourself a little addiction. This serves a lot, and can be reheated a few times before it loses all resemblance to spinach dip.

Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
1 cup mayo
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (8 oz) packages Neufchatel cheese (less fat cream cheese), softened
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 or 4 ozs. Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry

Place mayo, garlic, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until well-combined. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Pour into a microwave safe dish and heat on high for 3 minutes. Stir well. Heat for another 2 minutes, stir, and continue the process until the dip is hot and gooey and well-combined. Serve hot with sliced baguettes, veggies, or chips.

Can also be heated in a 350ºF oven for about 25 minutes.

In the week ahead I'll be sharing my recipe for Pecan Pie with Bittersweet Chocolate, as requested by someone. I'll also be sharing a fantastic all-purpose beef carnitas recipe- so simple and so delicious. I'm not sure what else... this week Andy is out of town working until Wednesday and then Abigail is performing in The Nutcracker this weekend, so it's a busy week with dress rehearsals and performances. Hopefully I can kick this bug asap! Happy Monday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, checking on something new and strange...