Monday, July 25, 2005

Okay I lied

I said I probably wouldn't be cooking much. Here it is- extremely hot outside, and I 'm dying to turn on the oven. Dumb, dumb me. It is quite toasty in my house right now.

However, the recults of said oven turning on are quite tasty. In fact, pretty darn good if I may say so. I received a new issue of Cooking Light today, and I had to make this, given the fact that Mom gave me a zucchini from her garden and said- use quickly. So I did. This recipe reminds me so much of fried zucchini- without the frying. Obviously it is not a substitute (what can possibly compare to fried zucchini) but these are delicious, and a wonderfully different way to use the zucchini. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *
Zucchini Oven Chips
Serving Size : 4
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1/4 c dry breadcrumbs
1/4 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsps skim milk
2 1/2 c zucchini slices -- 1/4" thick
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp
Source: ""Cooking Light Aug 2005 p. 150""Yield: "3/4 c" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 74 Calories; 2g Fat (23.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 245mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Okay, now for my slight changes. I used Italian Style dry bread crumbs (I like Progresso brand, 99 cents for a can that lasts for a long time) instead of plain bread crumbs. I also baked mine on a stone instead of the oven rack procedure given. That just seemed silly to me. I baked them for 20 minutes, then flipped them over for the remaining 10 minutes. Perfectly crispy and delightful. The only thing I might change is to slice them a little thicker next time so they are juicy in the middle. In my opinion, these are screaming for a bit of marinara for dunking, but they really are good as is. Oh- and I think I would reduce the seasoning salt by half next time. The parmesan contributes salt, and they seem a tiny bit salty to me. But enjoy! So easy and so yummy! Great for a snack or part of a meal I think.

No comments: