Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Recipe # 2: Basic Polenta

Well, I gave it a whirl. I don't know what I expected from polenta. After all, it is basically corn meal and salt. Back in the day it may even have been known as gruel. What I made was essentially a variation of Cream of Wheat. On a normal day, for breakfast, I love cream of wheat. I am not a fan of breakfast foods for other meals. I couldn't see myself sitting down to a scoop of polenta with bolognese on it, so I did stray from the recipe a tad.

I pressed it into an 11x7 pan and refrigerated it until it was firm. Then I was able to cut the polenta into squares and saute them with a little butter- vastly improving the taste and texture. I heated up my leftover bolognese and had myself a very satisfying supper. Really satisfying actually. I had a fairly small bowl, and it filled me up before I could finish what I had put together, so I had leftovers for lunch. Howevwer, the jury is still out on the polenta. It was a very good foil for the bolognese, I admit that, but I am just not sure I like it. There are 2 other polenta recipes in Giada's, and I will try them both to accomplish the challenge. I'm just not sure. I am pretty certain that Andy would not like polenta. But I am wondering if it is something Zander would eat- maybe with a little grape jelly on it? I will think about it. Anyway, here is the recipe for inquiring minds.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Basic Polenta
Recipe By : Giada De Laurentiis Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:05
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a heavy large saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the butter, and stir until melted.
Start to Finish Time: "0:25" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 6g Fat (29.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 720mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Fat.

No comments: