Tuesday, August 30, 2005

An accomplishment today!

Today I learned how to sew! I got out my machine and got to work learning how to make a poodle skirt. I will say, it was waaaay easier than I had anticipated. The waistband was a little tricky, but I must say, the skirt looks pretty darn good. And of course, it's Abigail's size, so it is adorable as well. I am costuming Bye Bye Birdie this fall- and I've decided that I want to make some of the costumes. One of my goals in life is to learn how to sew really well. Every year I work with the kids at the High School and help them with the costuming. My favorite shows to do are period shows- because the costumes we rent are just gorgeous, and I always wish I could learn how to make them, so this year I started. The late 1950's are pretty easy, but it's a good era to start with. Fun styles and fun fabrics- and very easy lines to sew. :-) I'm going to have to make sure I photograph my creations and share them.

Unfortunately, my sewing adventure prevented me from doing much in the kitchen today. The excitement of the day came at breakfast when I broke out the waffle iron and made Abigail some waffles for breakfast. But, I had been thinking about making some pork tacos. So since I was thining it, I thought I would pretend I had made them and share the recipe here. This is a super simple, super quick recipe, and a surprisingly tasty taco. You can cut back on the chipotle chile powder if you want- I like to use 1/2 tsp. chipotle, and 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder- it makes it a little sweeter. Do make the onion and cilantro relish though- it adds the perfect flavor to the tacos, and they wouldn't be near so good without. This recipe comes from an issue of Cooking Light magazine- summer of 03 sometime I believe. I'm sorry I don't know the exact issue.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Pork and Pineapple Tacos
Serving Size : 4

3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder (such as McCormick)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound pork tenderloin -- trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 can pineapple tidbits in juice -- (15 1/4-ounce) undrained
6 flour tortillas -- (6-inch)
3/4 cup salsa verde

Combine onion and cilantro.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine chipotle powder, chili powder, salt, and pork in a medium bowl. Add pork mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.
Add pineapple to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in pork mixture; cook 1 minute or until pork is done.
Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 2/3 cup pork mixture down center of each tortilla. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons onion mixture and 2 tablespoons salsa; roll up.

No comments: