Thursday, August 4, 2005

As promised- blueberry ice cream

This turned out pretty good. I took two recipes that I found and combined them to create my own version. Quite good, if I say so myself. All the blueberry recipes called for straining the blueberry mixture- and I did not do this. I'm sure the results would have been an even creamier ice cream, but this way it had more flavor, and added interest from the blueberry bits scattered throughout. This makes a healthy 2 quarts of ice cream- which is awkward since my maker is a 1 1/2 qt. maker. Usually I can get the canister to push through 2 batches in a row if it's cold enough to start with. So I went through my normal procedure, and halfway through the second freezing, I realize that I don't hear the machine whirring. Dear Zander decided to explore, and it sat for a good 20 minutes or so before I realized what he had done. So my second batch didn't process enough, and I'm sure the finished result will be more like a sorbet than an ice cream. Oh well. Nest time I put the machine up higher.

Blueberry Ice Cream

4 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 TBS water
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup 1% milk
3 cups half and half
1 TBS vanilla extract

Combine blueberries, water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan ove med. high heat. Stirring frequently, heat to boiling. Let boil for 5 minutes- stirring occasionally. Cool for 15 minutes. Combine cooled blueberries with 1 cup milk. Either blend with an immersion blender, or puree in a blender. At this stage, you may strain the solids if you desire. Mix in the 3 cups of half and half and the vanilla. Chill for at least 8 hours before pouring into the ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturers instructions. Allow to ripen in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Makes 2 quarts blueberry ice cream.

No comments: