Thursday, October 13, 2005

This one...not so good.


Dinner went as planned tonight. Whew. One of our favorite standbys is CL's Honey Pecan Crusted Chicken. It is very simple and very good. Even Abigail gobbles it up, and she usually doesn't care for skin or coating on her chicken. So of course, that was welcome for dinner. My butternut squash risotto however...

This was the first time that I ever made real risotto. The process was a little intensive. Stirring mostly constantly for half an hour was certainly something. It was interesting to see it come together. I'm just not sure I liked it, and I'm just not sure why. I think I liked the texture- it was nice and creamy, yet the grains of rice were a touch chewy, but not annoying chewy. I'm thinking what I didn't like was the squash. I love, love, love squash. Roasted with a touch of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I am in heaven. Just this past Sunday for Company Dinner, one of our guests brought acorn squash halves stuffed with raisins, apples, and cranberries- and that was fabulous! The one time I tried to make a squash soup, I took three bites and had to toss it- the flavors did not work for me. I think that was my problem here. So, I will attempt risotto again, but something non-squashy.

So here are the recipes- the risotto does get good reviews on the CL website- so I am sure it is good if you like those flavors.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Honey Pecan Crusted Chicken
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 chicken breasts -- skinned
8 chicken leg -- skinned
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 cups corn flakes -- crushed
1/2 cup pecan -- finely chopped

Preheat oven to 400.
Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken.
Combine honey, mustard, paprika, and garlic. Brush both sides of chicken with sauce.
Combine cornflakes and pecans. Dredge chicken in cornflakes.
Place on large baking sheet that has been prepared with cooking spray. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Source: "Cooking Light"Yield: "1 piece" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 439 Calories; 26g Fat (53.3% calories from fat); 41g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 154mg Cholesterol; 256mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Butternut Squash Risotto
1 cup water -- divided
1 can low-salt beef broth -- (14 1/4-ounce)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound) -- (3/4-inch)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese -- (2 ounces)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley

Bring 3/4 cups water and broth to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup water, squash, salt, and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until squash is tender and water has almost evaporated. Add rice; stir until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in cheese, butter, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Yield: "2/3 cup per serving" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; 5g Fat (98.5% calories from fat); trace Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 136mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


Tomorrow night there will be no dinner- as my chocolate party is tomorrow. If I get a chance I will post all of my temptations tomorrow night- otherwise look for the round-up sometime on Saturday. Have a good Friday everyone.

No comments: