Monday, February 13, 2006

A truly wordly cheese sandwich


Today I also reviewed a new cheese on my Cheese Blog, so be sure and check that out. I just couldn't wait to try out my new cheese in a dish. And what better than a classic- the cheese sandwich. Well, maybe a little more than a cheese sandwich. But at it's core, I rpomise that was how it started.

A quick rifling through the fridge produced flour tortillas, a lone grilled chicken breast, and a carton of red-pepper hummus. Add to that my Dubliner cheese, and I thought that would be a great start. A quesadilla of sorts. I smeared the hummus on one tortilla, and laid sliced chicken breast strips on that. Hmm. A trip to the pantry resulted in a jar of fire-roasted red peppers, so a few strips topped the chicken. And finally a nice thick layer of sliced Dubliner cheese, followed by the second tortilla. I tossed this puppy into the broiler and turned to a dipping sauce.

I started with some sour cream, and added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chopped scallion. It likely would have been great with a twist of lemon as well, but the scallion cream made me happy. So a little bit of Mexico, a little bit of Ireland, and a little bit of Hungary, and I had a cheese sandwich fit for any Olympian.

1 comment:

Kalyn Denny said...

Nice job on the cheese sandwich.