Monday, May 15, 2006

Happy Mother's Day to me!


Yesterday was a very nice Mother's Day. I am not big into the whole "Mother's Day" experience. I cannot believe the greeting card and gift-giving extravanagnza it has become. I don't want that. I don't want extra recognition for being Mom. That's just silly. I love my Mom, but I hardly need just one day a year to recognize that fact. Every day should be Mother's Day. I like to think that I honor my mother every day simply by being the best mother I can be- after all, I learned from the best.

That being said though, I did have a nice Mother's Day. My day started with a cup of coffee before I even got out of bed. That's really all I wanted, I didn't even ask Andy for the opportunity to sleep in, I just wanted a nice cuppa and a nice day with my kids. And cake. :-) After Zander pulled Mommy from bed, I was greeted with big hugs from Abigail, followed by a homemade card and a marigold that she very carefully kept hidden all weekend. It was truly special. That marigold is going to have a place of honor guarding my vegetable garden this year (if it ever stops raining enough to plant a vegetable garden). After church I put the finishing touches on dinner to be had at Mom and Dad's later in the day. Andy was grilling a Maple Glazed Salmon, but I made the pair of salads to go with it. After that was done, I spent some time playing games with Abigail while Zander snoozed away. And then we spent a lazy afternoon watching the kids play with thier cousin and capped off the day with a luxurious meal. While the meal itself was wonderful, it was this beauty that really stole the show:




Martha's Lemon Layer Cake was all that AND a bag of chips. Lightly lemon cake layers are filled with lemon curd and then smothered with a Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream. The cake was perfect. A delicate balance of tart lemon and sweet cake. I am looking forward to another piece today. The recipe is quite lengthy, due to the additions of the homemade lemon curd and buttercreams, but if someone is interested in the cake recipe- please let me know, and then I will be happy to add it to the Recipe Trove.

We finished the day by saying goodbye to a faithful friend for seven years now, The West Wing. Last night was the series ender, and it definitely went out in style. It was a very well-done finale. The show will be missed by us, but we are looking forward to seeing what the cast members move on to. Bradley Whitford has already been advertising for his new drama- so that will be worth checking out, but I do hope many of the other talented cast members move on to great things.

All in all, it was a great Mother's Day. And now to go find that piece of cake...

**A reminder for VRC: Food on a Stick. Entries will be due by May 31st. A reminder that this does not have to be a new recipe. Archived posts make lovely entries for the VRC. So those lollipops you made for Christmas last year are perfectly acceptable entries. E-mail me your posts with VRC in the subject heading to thewazsATnewDOTrrDOTcom. I'm looking forward to seeing all kinds of sticks start to roll in.

No comments: