Tuesday, September 5, 2006

And here we are.


*sigh*

Well, she's off. We got to school today, and it was a little confusing. We never really got clear directions on where Abigail should go today, so we waited a little while and just watched the other kids to see what we were supposed to do. Poor Abigail, I think once she got to school she got a little nervous. Fortunately for us, the Principal was standing just a few inches from us, so Abigail ran over to ask where she should go. The Principal took her hand and happily led her away. And just as last year, not even a look back for Mommy. I was watching her walk away, making sure she got to the right place when I just had to laugh at myself. She was in the good company of the Principal, and if there was anyone over-qualified to direct my daughter to her teacher, this was it. So Zander and I turned and headed back home.

It is a very nice morning, it was perfect for walking to and from school. I just don't know if I'll ever get used to the first day of school... Right now Zander has ensconced himself in front of the TV with some Veggie Tales. He definitely didn't care for the hustle this morning, I think. We may have to get up just a few minutes earlier tomorrow. After I get a shower, we have big plans to make pictures with glitter glue and foam shapes. And then a trip to the library is in order today, so we'll be plenty busy, and before we know it, it will be time to go pick up Abigail from school.

So for the first day of school, Abigail requested a tunafish sandwich and an orange. Not super special to me, but that's what she asked for. Off to the left here, we have her very first laptop lunch. It's amazing how much food actually fits into this! Plenty, that's for sure. The only thing I'm unsure of is the sandwich section. I had to cut the crusts off to get it to fit, and I kinda had to squish it in a little. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Maybe I'll see if I can convince Abigail to eat one of those thinner wheat breads. What you see here is indeed, white bread. But it is whole grain white, so it's a little better. The white bread is all my fault. We started Abigail on wheat bread. But I gotta tell you. I am a white bread fan. I love a sandwich on good squishy white bread. And I just got sick of the cardboard flavored wheat, so back to white it was. One of these days, I will play around with wheat breads and find a brand that we all like. But today, Abigail's tunafish sandwich is accompanied by one naval orange, baby carrots and green peppers with ranch dressing to dip in- that's in the tiny green covered container. And then for dessert she has three tiny sugar cookies. She will be buying milk every day to go with her lunch, but I've also sent along a water bottle for her just in case. And on top of her silverware (not in the picture) I tucked a few butterfly stickers. That should be a fun surprise for her. It will be interesting to see her lunchbox this afternoon.

I haven't even given half a thought to dinner yet today, I've been so busy preparing for the school day. So we'll have to wait and see id something inspires. Otherwise it may be a spaghetti and meatballs kind of night, since I have meatballs in the freezer from the last time I made them.

No comments: