Saturday, July 30, 2005

I feel like I gotta post something

It is a happy day on the internet for me. Finally the CLBB is back up and running. I had a bit of a time getting to log in again, but I had some wonderful help, and the world is back to normal. It's funny. Even though I knew the boards were down for updating, and no one else was getting on either, I felt like I was going to miss out on something if I didn't try logging in as much as I could. I know, sad isn't it. It did work out for the best, because I got a lot done over the last two days as far as cleaning and packing things up goes. So I guess that's good.

I have to say that I have really been enjoying reading many different foodie blogs over the last few days. I can only apologize for mine not being quite so entertaining. Maybe someday I will get that camera I want, and then there will be glorious pictures upon pictures. In the meantime though, maybe I can inspire you to try something different. I inspire myself sometimes, but most often I am inspired by other people who will try anything once.

This recipe is indeed different for me. Tuna Burgers. That's right- burgers. Now in my little world, tuna comes in a can and gets mixed with Miracle Whip and veggies to create tuna salad. That's it. I don't care for hot tuna- unless it's a tuna melt. But then the tuna has to stay slightly on the cool side while the American cheese slice on top gets melty and browned. There's a fine line there that can only be met with a careful eye and a toaster oven. But I digress. I saw an episode of Food 911 a long time ago. On that episode Tyler went to the home of a Day Care Mom who couldn't get her kids to eat her tuna salad. Yuck. She didn't drain the can enough. Anyway, he made these tuna burgers, and by golly, every single one of the kids gobbled them up. I just had to try them. Now the recipe calls for fresh tuna steaks. Yes, fresh is probably best, but we're not making sushi here, so go ahead and purchase frozen tuna steaks- they'll work just as well. Just make certain that you thaw them properly.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Tuna Burgers
Recipe By :Tyler FlorenceServing Size : 6
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method--
1 1/2 pounds tuna steaks -- cleaned and trimmed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 green onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs

Cut tuna into tiny pieces. Combine all ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Brush with vegetable oil.
Pan fry over medium heat, five minutes per side.
Description: "Sandwich"Source: "Food 911" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 216 Calories; 7g Fat (31.7% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 105mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium.

Now when I made them, I did fry them as he said, but I found the burgers to be slightly on the dry side when done. The burgers are a little softer in nature than say a ground beef burger. More like a turkey burger in texture actually. But the flavor was quite good. We topped them with a dab of mayo, lettuce and tomato. And they were quite good. Abigail ate hers, Zander ate his, and we deemed them repeater. I do think though that if you used a grill basket and some oil, you could certainly cook the burgers on a grill. They would probably be even better that way. We'll do that one soon, I think.


No comments: