Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Finally!



Something tonight came out of the crock pot that tasted pretty good. This morning I was scrambling trying to decide what to throw in the crockpot, when I remembered a package of frozen BBQ ribs from a few weeks back. Perfect. No fuss, no muss, and the kids will love it. But we can't just come home from dance and eat ribs. There must be vegetables and good stuff. I thought about making up some veggies to toss in the micro for a few minutes to warm when it occurred to me- I have more than one crock-pot. So I glanced through the few crock-pot books I have and saw a recipe for stuffed acorn squash. Perfect! I tossed the book aside and came up with my own recipe.

I used two squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out. Then I took one Paula Red apple and diced it up, and added a handful of craisins, a handful of pecans, a pinch of brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon and mixed it all up. I placed the fruit and nut concoction into the hollowed out squash halves and placed them in my crock-pot. They fit perfectly. I poured about 1/4 cup of apple juice into the pot around the squash, and then topped each squash half with a dollop of butter. 3 hours later we had perfectly cooked stuffed squash. And it didn't taste like it came out of a crockpot. I will be making this one again in the future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ribs would be perfect for a crock pot since they are slow cooked anyway!

Erika W. said...

Yeah...both kids love ribs, so we eat them quite often.