Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Confessional

Today I wanted to make a cake. I have about 3 dozen eggs that expire soon, and I'm trying to find ways to use them up. A perfect excuse for cake. So I turned to my trusty Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook and started flipping. The yellow butter cake caught my eye, but I'm out of chocolate and cocoa, and yellow cake really needs chocolate frosting. So I turned to the section on pound cake. And here's the confession. I've never made a poundcake before. In fact, I don't think I've ever even had a real poundcake that didn't come pre-frozen. And the best part? One loaf of cake uses 6 eggs. Perfect. So I whipped up a batter that was much easier than I had anticipated. It took an extra 20 minutes to get the cake to set up. And I'm not sure about the results. It seems a little dry to me, I may have overworked the batter somehow.

Dessert tonight consisted of a slice of poundcake and an oven baked pear compote. My parents have a pair of pear trees in their yard, and tis the season for the seckle pears to be perfect and ready to eat. Oh so tiny, and oh so full of flavor, they simply begged to be used for something. They turned out perfectly, cores removed and baked in a bit of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. A tiny drizzle of homemade caramel syrup finished a rather decadent dessert that really encompasses fall. All that was missing (maybe) was a small scoop of French vanilla ice cream or frozen custard, but overall...Mmmm.

Unfortunately, dinner tonight was a new recipe, but most definitely not noteworthy. Thank goodness dessert was good.

Potty training is going slowly. We have had a few successes, but we're mostly working on him identifying when he needs to wet himself. He definitely doesn't like the wet pants though, so I think it's just a matter of him paying a little more attention. Anyway. That's it for tonight. Storms are blowing in, and Zander is terrified of thunder. So I have to go snuggle.

No comments: