Sunday, October 1, 2006

Slow and Steady wins the race.

He's close. He's really close. We've had our first success with getting to the potty in time, so hopefully, we're in the home stretch here. I won't hold my breath, but hopefully it wasn't a freak thing. Right now he's napping, and I really didn't want to put him in the diaper he's been asking for. But I also didn't want my bed to get soggy. So there it is.

Anyway, since I'm stuck at home, I thought I would put that time to good use today. Last night for dinner I roasted a whole chicken and today I am using the carcass to make some stock. Stock is a long, slow process (just like potty training). Technically, stock must take between 4 and 6 hours in order for the bones to fully shed their gelatin and good stuff into the stock. A chicken broth, however, is made more quickly, generally in about 2-3 hours. I would give you my method fully here, but I really use Sara Moulton's method, just in this case, I'm using a leftover chicken carcass. You can find her recipe here on Food Network's website. If that link doesn't work for some reason, you can always do a search on FoodTv for chicken stock, and you'll find it. I have posted another method here at this post.

And that's all for today. Abigail has some homework to do, so I must go be read to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far so good with the training!

Don't feel bad that you went over your shopping budget -- don't let that discourage you. Just keep at it!

I read your blog so I can tell you are a good cook -- so let your creative juices flow and keep up making meals that use up what you have in stock in you cabinets and fridge.

Erika W. said...

I really wish it was so far so good with the training. Grrr...

Thank you for the encouragement about my budget. This week I am self-imposing a punishment for going over last week. I think...